Kindergarten Registration – March 8
KINDERGARTEN Registration for 2017-18 … Link here for informational brochure on Kindergarten.
Focus Dates for Kindergarten Registration — from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
Wednesday, March 8, 2017
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
NOTE: After these to dates, you can register a kindergarten student at any time. Call your zoned school first to ensure you bring the needed documents.
Students entering Kindergarten must have reached their fifth birthday on or before September 30th of the year in which they enroll.
Students must register at the school to which they are zoned before beginning classes. School attendance zones can be found using the “School Messenger” tab to the right. A specific street number and street address must be used after you link to the SCHOOL ZONE LOCATOR.
At the time of registration, the parent or legal guardian (proof of guardianship required) must submit two (2) proofs of residency in the City of Suffolk. Post office boxes and drivers’ licenses are not considered proofs of residency. Acceptable proofs of residency include, but are not limited to:
- Utility company statement,
- Rental lease, rental agreement, deed or mortgage contract,
- City of Suffolk receipt for paid personal property taxes
To enroll a child in a public school division in Virginia, state law required the parent/guardian provide certain information to the school division:
- Birth Certificate, original certificate of birth or certified copy
- School Entrance Physical and Immunization Certificate completed by a physician. This form may be obtained from any Suffolk public school, the Suffolk City Health Department, family practice medical office, or military medical clinic
- Immunization Record
- Expulsion Statement, if applicable
Immunizations Required by Virginia Law
- 4 DTP or DTaP – at least one dose after 4th birthday
- 4 Polio – at least one dose after 4th birthday
- 2 Measles – 1st dose on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
- 2 Mumps – 1st on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
- 1 Rubella – on/after 12 months of age
- Note: Measles, Mumps, Rubella requirements are also met with 2 MMR – 1st dose on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
- 3 Hep B – (2 doses if Merck adult formulation given between 11 – 15 years of age)
- 2 Varicella – to susceptible children born on/after January 1, 1997; 1st dose on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten