New Graduation Requirements Beginning 2013-14
Suffolk Public Schools is committed to preparing our students with the skills they will need to adapt to a rapidly changing world. New local and state graduation requirements will be implemented for rising ninth grade students, beginning September 2013 and beyond. The new requirements will contribute to and enhance our students’ ability to accomplish their educational, personal, and career goals.
Read All about It …
Academic and Career Plans
Virtual Course Requirement
- Compass Learning’s Odyssey Health Course may serve as the virtual course.
- Selected modules will be assigned in the blended HPE9 course and the remaining modules will be assigned to HPE10.
- This requirement will be met over a two year period.
- Link here for more information
Special Education Changes
- Modified Diploma … Phased out for incoming 9th Graders (2013-14); Current grades 9-12 are still eligible; Requirements roll up to Standard
- Modified required 20 Standard Credits, 0 verified
- Standard requires 22 Standard Credits, 6 verified
- Credit Accommodations … Approved by Virginia Department of Education to provide alternatives for students with disabilities to meet verified credit requirements. Credit Accommodations for students with disabilities may include:
- Alternative courses to meet the standard credit requirements
- Modifications to the requirements for locally awarded verified credits
- Additional tests approved by the Board of Education for earning verified credits
- Adjusted cut scores on tests for earning verified credits
- Allowance of work-based learning experiences through career and technical education (CTE) courses