February 11, 2016
Based on weather forecasts and concern for students’ safe travel home, Suffolk Public Schools will dismiss early on Friday, Feb. 12.
All afternoon and evening activities will be cancelled.
- Middle School – 11:25 a.m.
- High School – 12:25 p.m.
- Elementary A – 1:05 p.m.
- Florence Bowser
- Kilby Shores
- Mack Benn, Jr.
- Northern Shores
- Elementary B – 1:20 p.m.
- Booker T. Washington
- Elephant’s Fork
- Nansemond Parkway
Emergency School Closings, Delays & Early Dismissals
When a decision is made to alter the schedule of Suffolk Public Schools because of weather conditions or other emergencies, detailed information will be provided in the following places:
- Television stations … WVEC-13, WAVY-10, WTKR-3 … and their websites
- School Messenger … Automated phone calls with a recorded message will begin calling the homes of students and staff. The numbers called are based on the contact information stored in the division’s database.
- SPS Website …www.spsk12.net/
- SPS Facebook … www.facebook.com/SuffolkVAPublicSchools/
- WSPS-Charter Cable Channel 189
- A recorded message will be available after hours at 925-6750.
February 9, 2016
Parent-Teacher Conferences by Appointment Only
Parent-Teacher Conferences for first-semester report cards will be held by appointment from Wednesday, February 10 through Friday, February 12.
- There will not be a designated day with a student “holiday” as in years past.
- Parents are encouraged to first check their child’s grades using the online Home Access Center (HAC) to determine the need for a conference.
- Teachers can meet with parents as needed before school or after school on those three days (Feb. 10, 11 and 12). Students will be in school for a full day on each of these days. Parents can then schedule conferences by emailing their child’s teacher, or calling the school. The teachers’ emails are linked through Home Access Center.
- NOTE to High School Parents:
… The division will turn off the transcript in HAC temporarily so that mid-year GPAs can be calculated. Once the division has completed the process, the transcript view in HAC will be restored. Parents of high school students will see semester grades in the final slot of the report card temporarily as the division calculates with mid-year GPA.
- Parents and guardians may view the current report card in Home Access Center (HAC) which is accessible from the Suffolk Public Schools’ website (www.spsk12.net) and each school’s website. All parents and guardians have access to their child’s academic performance in HAC with an account that was created by the division. Parents that do not know their HAC credentials must contact one of the buildings their children attend for support in gaining access to the account. Additionally, all students have been provided with a student account to access their academic performance in HAC. Students will use their SPS computer credentials to access their HAC account.
- Middle school and high school students will be given a copy of their report card on Tuesday, February 9.
- Elementary students’ report cards not picked up by a parent/guardian at a conference will be distributed Tuesday, February 16.
- Call your child’s school for more information.
February 7, 2016
KINDERGARTEN Registration for 2016-17 … Link here for 2016-17 informational brochure on Kindergarten.
NEW Local Videos in March 2015:
Spring Registration Dates:
- Wednesday, March 9, 2016 – 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at the school your child will attend
- Wednesday, May 4, 2016 – 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. at the school your child will attend
These two dates will benefit parents who may need the choice for the sake of convenience. Call secretary Keesha Hicks at 925-6759 for more information.
Students entering Kindergarten must have reached their fifth birthday on or before September 30th of the year in which they enroll.
Students must register at the school to which they are zoned before beginning classes. School attendance zones can be found using the “School Messenger” tab to the right. A specific street number and street address must be used after you link to the SCHOOL ZONE LOCATOR.
At the time of registration, the parent or legal guardian (proof of guardianship required) must submit two (2) proofs of residency in the City of Suffolk. Post office boxes and drivers’ licenses are not considered proofs of residency. Acceptable proofs of residency include, but are not limited to:
- Utility company statement,
- Rental lease, rental agreement, deed or mortgage contract,
- City of Suffolk receipt for paid personal property taxes
To enroll a child in a public school division in Virginia, state law required the parent/guardian provide certain information to the school division:
- Birth Certificate, original certificate of birth or certified copy
- School Entrance Physical and Immunization Certificate completed by a physician. This form may be obtained from any Suffolk public school, the Suffolk City Health Department, family practice medical office, or military medical clinic
- Immunization Record
- Expulsion Statement, if applicable
Immunizations Required by Virginia Law
- 4 DTP or DTaP – at least one dose after 4th birthday
- 4 Polio – at least one dose after 4th birthday
- 2 Measles – 1st dose on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
- 2 Mumps – 1st on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
- 1 Rubella – on/after 12 months of age
- Note: Measles, Mumps, Rubella requirements are also met with 2 MMR – 1st dose on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
- 3 Hep B – (2 doses if Merck adult formulation given between 11 – 15 years of age)
- 2 Varicella – to susceptible children born on/after January 1, 1997; 1st dose on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
February 9, 2016
Get help paying for college.
College bound seniors should file their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by Monday, February 15, 2016. Meeting this deadline ensures your application is considered for all available aid.
Contact the ACCESS College Foundation advisor below who is assigned to your high school to submit before the February 15 deadline.
King’s Fork High School ACCESS Advisor is on site W-F.
Lakeland High School ACCESS Advisor is on site W-F.
925-5790, ext. 581619
Nansemond River High School ACCESS Advisor is on site M-T
January 14, 2016
Don’t Miss the Event of Year
Last year’s Gala sold-out, so get your tickets now!
If you love blues and jazz music …
If you love hand-crafted artwork …
If you love helping students discover their creativity and talents …
Don’t miss your opportunity to support the music and art programs in Suffolk Public Schools by attending the Suffolk Education Foundation’s second annual Masquerade: A Gala in Celebration of the Arts in Suffolk Public Schools!
Buy your Gala tickets now for a dinner and a fabulous night of entertainment by our students. The second annual Celebration of the Arts will welcome you on Tuesday, March 1st from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Hilton Garden Inn Riverfront (100 East Constance Road.) Proceeds will directly benefit the fine arts programs in Suffolk Public Schools.
The evening will feature live entertainment performed by Suffolk Public Schools’ middle school and high school student musicians and singers. The Masquerade Gala theme continues beyond music to showcase the visual arts with a display of 50 hand-crafted masks created by student artists and art teachers from all Suffolk Public Schools’ secondary and elementary schools.
Teacher-created masks will be raffled, so bring extra money. To further support the art program, you will also be able to purchase tickets to vote for your favorite student masks at the elementary, middle and high school levels.
- Join us for an evening of New Orleans’ traditions, great food with a bit of Cajun flair, and Jazz & Blues.
- Semi-Formal Attire and Mask Encouraged
- Tickets are $35 a person. Proceeds benefit the music and arts programs in Suffolk Public Schools.
Two ways to buy tickets.
- Reserve your tickets online by clicking here. Once you submit your RSVP information, someone from SEF will contact you to complete the purchase.
- Print out this ticket order form and return it by mail or call the number listed. Click here for the form.
For tickets, contact email@example.com or call Renyatta Banks, SEF Executive Director, at (757) 775-9682.
WHY SHOULD YOU ATTEND?
The SEF Gala hits all your senses…from the visually stunning artwork and moving musical performances to the fabulous food and whimsical masks. Your generosity and support of this Gala directly benefits the most important thing in Suffolk — our students!
Sandra Darden, Art Teacher, King’s Fork Middle School
SEF supports the schools, helping with items that are more than “brick and mortar” but rather the “heart and soul” of teaching. The gala benefits our future innovators, dreamers, and artists – the ones who create the world in which we live. Our students need to know their talent is valued and appreciated, and not just relegated to a test score.
Dr. Joleen Neighbours, Fine Arts Department Chair, Nansemond River High School
The SEF Gala is a wonderful coming together of our extended arts community for a fabulous evening filled with both student and teacher works of art as well as musical performances. The best reason of all to attend is to enjoy this celebration of creativity right here in Suffolk, and to support the arts programs in our schools.
Linda Hurwitz, Orchestra Director, John Yeates Middle School
February 11, 2016
Click on the link below to watch a video providing background information on the Urban Crescent initiative for increased state funding for public education:
February 9, 2016
Congratulations to Nansemond River High School’s Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) on their win in the 2015-2016 “Safe Rides Save Lives” public service announcement video competiton.
The contest, empowered by Families Acting for Community Traffic Safety (FACTS) and sponsored by State Farm, is an opportunity for FCCLA members to engage in creating teen-friendly safe rides safety messaging through a video Public Service Announcement.