September 18, 2014
WHAT: College & Career Readiness Fair
WHO: Students in Grades 7-12, and Parents
WHEN: Saturday, November 1
WHERE: King’s Fork Middle School
- 8 a.m. Registration
- 8:30 a.m. Opening Session
- 9 a.m., 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 12 noon, and 1 p.m. – Workshops
Preferred Registration due October 24.
Reservations accepted through Oct. 31.
Walk-In participation allowed.
College Info Booths:
Old Dominion University … Hampton University … Christopher Newport University … Tidewater Community College … ITT Technical Institute … Virginia Commonwealth University … Regent University … College of William and Mary … Norfolk State University … University of Virginia … Paul D. Camp Community College … Chowan University … Riverside School of Health Sciences … Virginia Wesleyan College
Preparing for High School
- Specialty Programs (International Baccalaureate, Project Lead the Way engineering, Governor’s School for the Arts, the Pruden Center for Industry & Technology)
- Making the Transition to High School
Planning for College
- PSAT, SAT, ACT College Aptitude Tests
- Advanced Studies Options: AP, Dual Credit, Honors
- Preparing Your Pocketbook & Your Child for College
Transitioning to the Workforce
- Career Opportunities & Apprenticeships in Hampton Roads
- Job Search Skills
These topics are only categories of workshops to be offered.
October 29, 2014
Mark your calendars now!
Suffolk Parent University Returns for November Session
Raising self-confident, healthy, and motivated children is not an easy job for most parents and caregivers. If you are looking for advice on how to help your children, please take advantage of the fall session of Suffolk Parent University, sponsored by Suffolk Public Schools and Suffolk’s Early Childhood Development Commission.
This free event will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 15 at King’s Fork Middle School. Registration starts at 8:30 a.m., followed by the opening speaker at 8:45 a.m.
Three Ways to Register:
- Call (757) 934-6202
- Online at https://suffolk-parent-univ.eventbrite.com
- Complete a form on the paper flyers available at all Suffolk Public Schools or you can download it here: REGISTRATION
Participants can select three workshop sessions, and visit resource tables from community organizations who support local families and children. Presenters are experts in their fields, including speakers from the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters, The Planning Council, Family Systems II, Advocating for Kids, the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office, The Children’s Center, the Suffolk Library, the Suffolk Early Childhood Development Commission, and Suffolk Public Schools.
Workshop topics include:
- Top 10 Things Teachers Wish Parents Knew
- Stop Arguing with Your Kids: Positive Discipline
- Kindergarten Readiness: Planning for Success
- Parenting the Strong-Willed Child
- Jump Up & Grow: Healthy Family Meals and Activities for You and Your Kids
- Keep Your Kids Safe Online
- Let’s Knock Out that Bullying
- Choosing High Quality Childcare
- Ages and Stages: What to Expect as Your Child Grows
- Advocating for Your Special Needs Child
- Teaching Your Kids to Save Money
- Suffolk Library and Using Mobile Devices
- Discovering At-Home Fun in Math & Science
- Reading in the Kitchen: Recipes, Shopping & Cooking
- Fantastic Family Fun with Read-Alouds
- Engaging Kids in Reading Activities in Just 10 Minutes a Day
- Reading Comprehension: The Key to Unlocking Understanding
- Effective Reading Strategies for Early Readers
October 13, 2014
As a safety precaution, the automated attendance calls sent when your child is absent from school will now be sent earlier in the day. Starting Monday, November 3, attendance calls for elementary and middle school students will be pushed out at 10:45 a.m.
September 18, 2014
The school division’s Scholarship Hub is an online, local resource for high school seniors searching for scholarships.
This central site can be searched by criteria, such as career, college major, GPA, and extracurricular activities. You can access Scholarship Hub at http://scholarships.spsk12.net.
High school guidance counselors will continue to distribute scholarships including those linked to specific colleges, athletic opportunities and other focused awards, not listed on the Hub.
Share Your Scholarship – If your community group has a scholarship suitable for Scholarship Hub, please send information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, call the School Administrative Offices at 925-6752.