August 23, 2016
Congratulations to 27 students from Suffolk Public Schools!
The College Board recently announced its 2016 Advanced Placement (AP) awards to 20 recent graduates and seven (7) current seniors for their outstanding achievement on their Advanced Placement (AP) national exams. These assessments are graded on a 5-point scale, and many colleges grant credit or advanced placement if a student scores a 3, 4 or 5.
Because of its commitment to prepare graduates for college and beyond, Suffolk Public Schools offers nine (9) Advanced Placement classes through the College Board: AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP U.S. History, AP U.S. Government, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Physics, AP Calculus, and AP Statistics. Students can also enroll in other AP courses through Virtual Virginia, the state-wide online education program. In addition, students can also earn college credit through another seven (7) dual-enrollment courses, coordinated with local community colleges. During the 2015-16 school year, 420 students were enrolled in AP courses and 122 took advantage of dual-enrollment courses.
Since 2013, the number of Suffolk Public Schools’ students earning AP Scholar awards has increased by 33-percent.
AP Scholars with Distinction … This level is granted to students who receive an average grade of at least 3.5 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 3 or higher on five or more of these exams:
- King’s Fork High School current seniors Angelo Cecchini, Sydney Morgan and Alana Tillery.
AP Scholars with Honor … This level is granted to students who receive an average grade of at least 3.25 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 3 or higher on four or more of these exams:
- King’s Fork High School 2016 graduates Akira Garcia and Shaun Miller;
- Lakeland High School 2016 graduate Christopher Defreeuw;
- Nansemond River High School 2016 graduates Dixie Cox and Nicholas Gill.
AP Scholars … This level is granted to students who receive grades of 3 or higher on three or more AP Exams:
- King’s Fork High School 2016 graduates Kier Askew, Marcus Blodgett, Azana Carr, Montanna Mitchell and Jamal Taylor … and current KFHS seniors Nadim Barrakat, Michael Kilduff, Steven Ramlogan and Paige Summers;
- Lakeland High School 2016 graduate Ariel Salerno;
- Nansemond River High School 2016 graduates Owen Andre, Tyler Defreitas, Sean Hinkle, Daniel Kent, Logan O’Leary, Caitiana Ross, Adriece Sharpe, Gregory Spiroff and Nicholas Viado.
For more information on the College Board AP testing, click on the link here http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/about.html
July 28, 2016
Suffolk Public Schools created Spark, an original video series intended to ignite curiosity. The new video series offers families easy and fun ways to keep their students learning this summer.
Click on the links below to open each videos in the series.
August 23, 2016
- August 23, 2016 … Top AP Honors Awarded to 27 Students
- August 16, 2016 … Countdown to New School Year
- August 9, 2016 … Get a Grip!
- August 2, 2016 … Gearing Up for Back-to-School
- July 26, 2016 … Turtles and Shipwrecks Launch Deep Learning
- July 19, 2016 … Watch Out for Students with DRONES
- July 6, 2016 … Sparks! Shining Stars! and Guiding Lights!
August 24, 2016