November 20, 2013
WHAT: College & Career Readiness Fair
WHO: Students in Grades 7-12, and Parents
WHEN: Saturday, February 1
WHERE: King’s Fork Middle School
Workshop sessions on a variety of topics within the areas of Planning for High School, Preparing for College, and Transitioning to the Workforce. Colleges, schools, and employers will also be available at information tables throughout this event.
- 8 a.m. Registration
- 8:30 a.m. Opening Session
- 9 a.m., 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 12 noon, and 1 p.m. – Workshops
Preparing for High School
- Specialty Programs (International Baccalaureate, Project Lead the Way engineering, Governor’s School for the Arts,
the Pruden Center for Industry & Technology)
- Career Interest Inventory
- Making the Transition to High School
Planning for College
- Using the Internet to Find Colleges and Career Options
- PSAT, SAT, ACT College Aptitude Tests
- Advanced Studies Options: AP, Dual Credit, Honors
- Preparing Your Pocketbook & Your Child for College
Transitioning to the Workforce
- Career Opportunities & Apprenticeships in Hampton Roads
- Job Search Skills
- Military Options for GradsThese topics are only categories of workshops to be offered.
November 25, 2013
Project Lead the Way (PLTW) at Nansemond River High School
Current 8th-graders interested in applying for the 4-year pre-engineering program, Project Lead the Way, can find more information here.
Link here for the 2014-15 Information Brochure.
Link to the 2014-15 PLTW Application, which is due in early January.
Applications are also be available in the middle schools.
Project Lead the Way is available to all eligible students enrolled in Suffolk Public Schools, regardless of their zoned high school. Transportation is provided to students throughout the city. Prerequiste coursework includes “B” or better in both Algebra I and Science 8. A foreign language is recommended.
See the national website for more info: www.pltw.org
November 15, 2013
The Suffolk Education Foundation is excited to offer you a special opportunity to became a permanent part of Suffolk’s newest elementary school, Pioneer Elementary. This is a one-time offer to buy a brick, engraved the way you specify, which will be installed at the school.
Money raised will be returned directly to the Suffolk Public Schools in terms of student scholarships,
instructional grants, and staff recognition. Additionally, 10% of profits will go directly to Pioneer
Elementary to use as needed.
Online orders can also be made at http://www.brickmarkers.com/donors/suffolk.html. We hope that you will take part in this exciting promotion and support education in our community. All money raised will directly benefit Suffolk Public Schools.
November 26, 2013
Suffolk Parent University was held Saturday, Nov. 16 … with 20 outstanding workshops to help parents raise healthy, happy children.
Workshop presenters are sharing their presentations and handouts. These links will be updated as more materials are shared.
• Secrets to Raising Strong Readers
• Stop Arguing with Your Kids: Positive Discipline 101
• Kindergarten Readiness: Planning for Success
• Getting Your Pocketbook & Your Child Ready for College
• Parenting the Strong-Willed Child
• Unlocking the Mystery of Adolescence: The Mischievous, Moody & Marvelous
• Teaching Your Kids to Save Money
• Discovering At-Home Fun in History & English
• One fish, Two fish: Hooking Your Child on Reading by Making Read-Alouds Come Alive
December 4, 2013
Find out more about the Governor’s School for the Arts at the upcoming Meet GSA Night:
- Monday, Dec. 9
- 6 p.m.
- King’s Fork Middle School
Learn about the programs in Dance, Visual Arts, Vocal Music, Theatre & Film, Musical Theater, and Instrumental Music. Meet faculty and students.
For more information, visit the Governor’s School for the Arts website at www.gsarts.org or call (757) 451-4711