March 2, 2015
Verizon is working to restore phone service to the School Administrative Offices.
Please call your child’s school.
March 1, 2015
Changes to the School Calendar to make-up for the Feb. 25-27 snow days are under consideration by the School Board, and will be announced as soon as available.
Changes Due to Feb. 17-20 Snow Days:
- Issuance of Interim/Progress Reports is changed to March 6, 2015 (instead of February 27, 2015).
- The end of the 3rd Nine-Weeks grading period (formerly March 31, 2015) is changed to Friday, April 3, 2015. There will be 44 days in the third grading period based on the new ending date.
- The school days missed on Tuesday, February 17 – Friday, February 20, 2015 will be “made up” as follows:
- Thursday, March 19 (formerly ½ day [early dismissal) for students] is changed to a full school day for students; the ½ day Professional Development for Teachers will not be rescheduled
- Friday, April 3 (formerly ½ day [early dismissal) for students] is changed to a full school day for students; the ½ day Clerical for Teachers will not be rescheduled
- Wednesday˗Friday, June 10, 11,12 (early dismissal due to middle/high school exams] is changed to full school days for Elementary students ONLY; middle school and high school students will adhere to the early dismissal exam schedule
March 1, 2015
Call Bethanne Bradshaw at 925-6752 with questions.
February 12, 2015
The Superintendent’s Proposed 2015-16 Budget was presented to the Suffolk School Board at its Feb. 12, 2015 meeting.
A public hearing was held at the board’s March 12 meeting, which will be held at Lakeland High School.
The board’s March, April, and May meetings will be held at Lakeland, King’s Fork High, and Nansemond River High. Honor graduates from each school will be recognized.
The School Board also received the final consultant’s report from a Pay & Classification Plan study.
February 23, 2015
KINDERGARTEN Registration for 2014-15 … Link here for 2015-16 informational brochure on Kindergarten.
Spring Registration Dates:
- Wednesday, March 11, 2015 – 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at the school your child will attend
- Wednesday, May 13, 2015 – 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at the school your child will attend
These two dates will benefit parents who may need the choice for the sake of convenience. Call secretary Keesha Hicks at 925-6759 for more information.
Students entering Kindergarten must have reached their fifth birthday on or before September 30th of the year in which they enroll.
Students must register at the school to which they are zoned before beginning classes. School attendance zones can be found using the “School Messenger” tab to the right. A specific street number and street address must be used after you link to the SCHOOL ZONE LOCATOR.
At the time of registration, the parent or legal guardian (proof of guardianship required) must submit two (2) proofs of residency in the City of Suffolk. Post office boxes and drivers’ licenses are not considered proofs of residency. Acceptable proofs of residency include, but are not limited to:
- Utility company statement,
- Rental lease, rental agreement, deed or mortgage contract,
- City of Suffolk receipt for paid personal property taxes
To enroll a child in a public school division in Virginia, state law required the parent/guardian provide certain information to the school division:
- Birth Certificate, original certificate of birth or certified copy
- School Entrance Physical and Immunization Certificate completed by a physician. This form may be obtained from any Suffolk public school, the Suffolk City Health Department, family practice medical office, or military medical clinic
- Immunization Record
- Expulsion Statement, if applicable
Immunizations Required by Virginia Law
- 4 DTP or DTaP – at least one dose after 4th birthday
- 4 Polio – at least one dose after 4th birthday
- 2 Measles – 1st dose on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
- 2 Mumps – 1st on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
- 1 Rubella – on/after 12 months of age
- Note: Measles, Mumps, Rubella requirements are also met with 2 MMR – 1st dose on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
- 3 Hep B – (2 doses if Merck adult formulation given between 11 – 15 years of age)
- 2 Varicella – to susceptible children born on/after January 1, 1997; 1st dose on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
September 18, 2014
The school division’s Scholarship Hub is an online, local resource for high school seniors searching for scholarships.
This central site can be searched by criteria, such as career, college major, GPA, and extracurricular activities. You can access Scholarship Hub at http://scholarships.spsk12.net.
High school guidance counselors will continue to distribute scholarships including those linked to specific colleges, athletic opportunities and other focused awards, not listed on the Hub.
Share Your Scholarship – If your community group has a scholarship suitable for Scholarship Hub, please send information by email to email@example.com. For more information, call the School Administrative Offices at 925-6752.