August 31, 2014
- These updated bus routes reflect any requests for missing bus stops up to 4:00 PM Friday, August 29.
- The focus of this update was making sure students had an assigned bus stop on the first day of school.
- All daycare forms received up to and including Monday, August 18 are also now included on these updated routes.
- Requests for bus stop location changes will not be reviewed and processed until after the 10th day of school.
- Information at the end of this page describes how best to contact the Transportation Department using an online form linked below.
Please click on the School’s Name to access Updated Bus Routes
Changes are highlighted in yellow.
Contact Us …
The best way to connect with the Transportation Department is submitting this online form:
Click here: Report Concerns or Issues Online
Due to limited phone access, transportation staff can also be contacted by email:
- Lonnie Reavis … email@example.com
- James Blow … firstname.lastname@example.org
- Annette McLamb … email@example.com
Main Office: (757) 925-5572
2014-15 Transportation Forms
August 28, 2014
Suffolk Police and Suffolk Fire & Rescue remind motorists that the the start of a new school year also means the return of school buses to our roadways. To stay safe when traveling near school buses, please remember the following pointers.
- A driver must stop for stopped school buses with flashing red lights and an extended stop sign when they approach from any direction on a highway, private road or school driveway.
- Stop and remain stopped until all persons are clear and the bus moves again.
- A driver must also stop if the bus is loading or unloading passengers and the signals are not on.
- A driver does not have to stop if they are traveling in the opposite direction on a roadway with a median or barrier dividing the road and the bus is on the opposite side of the median or barrier.
- However, be prepared for unexpected actions by persons exiting the school bus.
- Drivers may also want to take into account that due to the size of most school buses that the vehicle may require a wide turning radius on streets and intersections.
In Virginia, if you are convicted of passing a school bus that is stopped to load or unload passengers, you will receive a six-point violation that will stay on your record for 11 years.
School buses transport our most cherished passengers: children. Parents and caregivers are reminded to teach children proper bus etiquette and proper behavior at the bus stop. School buses are one of the safest vehicles on the road and most school bus incidents happen off the bus, not on the bus.
- If a student has to cross the street in front of the bus, they should walk on the sidewalk or along the side of the road to a point at least five giant steps (10 feet) ahead of the bus before they cross.
- Students should be sure that the bus driver can see them and they can see the bus driver.
- When the bus approaches, stand at least five giant steps (10 feet) away from the curb, and line up away from the street
In advance of the opening of the new Pioneer Elementary School, the Suffolk Department of Public Works Traffic Engineering Division, in cooperation with Suffolk Public Schools, fully activated the new traffic signal at Holland Road/Route 58 and Pioneer Road on Monday, August 25. Variable message boards are in place notifying motorists of the new signal. These message boards will be in place through September 8.
Suffolk’s public safety personnel would like to make sure that this school year is a safe as possible for students and motorists alike.
August 27, 2014
Pioneer Elementary School Orientation Rescheduled for Sept. 4 … Back-to-School Orientation at Pioneer Elementary will not be held Thursday, Aug. 28 as originally planned. Orientation has been rescheduled for Thursday, Sept. 4 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. This orientation will be combined with the PTA open house originally scheduled for Sept. 9. Classroom set-up, final floor finishing, and other details must be completed this week so students can be welcomed to a safe, clean school on Tuesday. Teachers will be calling students’ homes this week to introduce themselves and answer questions. Call the school at 934-6213 for more information.
August 18, 2014
Updates below are dated.
Links to PDFs of the Pre-Service Schedules for the following employees:
- Transportation, Food & Nutrition, and Nurses
- Multi-Grade Level Sessions
- K-12 Art, Music, Health & Guidance
- Elementary (updated 8-18)
- Early Start
- Title 1 (updated 8-14))
- Special Education
- Secondary English
- Secondary Math
- Secondary Science
- Secondary History & Social Studies
- Foreign Language (updated 8-18)
- International Baccalaureate
- Career & Technical Education
- Alternative Education (added 8-18)
- Combined Schedule — All 16 Groups in Same Document (updated 8-18)
June 4, 2014
Now Available …