October 2, 2015
Friday, Oct. 2
- All afternoon and evening activities cancelled
- CANCELLED — Varsity football games scheduled to be played in Chesapeake will be RESCHEDULED. Check back for details.
- KFHS Varsity Football Game will be played Monday, Oct. 5 at Great Bridge – 7 pm
- LHS Varsity Football Game will be played Monday, Oct. 5 at Deep Creek – 7 pm
- NRHS Varsity Football Game will be played Tuesday, Oct. 13 at Indian River – 7 pm
Saturday, Oct. 3
- SAT testing will still be held at Lakeland High and King’s Fork High
- All other Saturday activities cancelled
- Peanut Fest parade cancelled
- Nansemond River Band Day has been cancelled for Saturday, Oct. 3 and rescheduled for Saturday, November 14 at 2 p.m.The raffle for the car is also rescheduled for Band Day.
- The Kilby Shores Elementary PTA has rescheduled its annual Yard Sale due to inclement weather! Originally scheduled for Oct. 3, the NEW DATE is Saturday, November 7.
Register Now for Free Oct. 21 Workshop: 7 Smart Things Parents Do to Help Their Children Succeed in School
September 24, 2015
Suffolk’s Parenting Network will host the first in a series of free workshops, School Success: 7 Smart Things Parents Do to Help Their Children Succeed in School.
The workshop is open to everyone and will be held on Wednesday, October 21 at Nansemond River High School.
Free dinner and childcare will be available to those who pre-register.
Dinner will be served beginning at 5:30 p.m. followed by national keynote speaker, Dr. Michael Popkin from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m..
Dr. Popkin founded Active Parenting Publishers in 1983. Soon after, he introduced the first video-based parenting education program, Active Parenting. His program has helped millions of parents develop cooperation, responsibility and courage in their children.
To register, click here — SIGN ME UP!
September 24, 2015
The Suffolk Education Foundation invites the community to the 2015 State of the Schools and Annual Learning Fair which will begin at 8 a.m. Tuesday, October 27 at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Suffolk.
A $15 donation to the Suffolk Education Foundation is suggested at the door.
Hear from Superintendent Dr. Deran R. Whitney about the challenges and successes of Suffolk Public Schools.
Enjoy a light breakfast while visiting hands-on education demonstrations at the Learning Fair. Similar to a science fair, the Learning Fair will have “demonstration areas” where students explain their activity, and offer guests a chance to try it for themselves. Some of the projects to be highlighted include an alternative energy weather lab, Lego competition robots, forensic science blood spatter analysis, and NASA Space Camp.
Kindly respond by October 20 by calling 925-6752 or emailing RSVP@spsk12.net
August 10, 2015
WHAT: College & Career Readiness Fair
WHO: Students in Grades 7-12, and Parents
WHEN: Saturday, November 7
WHERE: King’s Fork Middle School
(Inclement weather date: Nov. 14)
- 8 a.m. – Opening Remarks in Auditorim
- 8:15 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Workshop Sessions
- 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. – College Info Tables and Other Exhibitors
Preferred Registration due November 1.
- Reservations accepted through Nov. 6
- Walk-In participation allowed.
Workshop sessions on a variety of topics within the areas of Planning for High School, Preparing for College, and Transitioning to the Workforce. Colleges, schools, and employers will also be available at information tables throughout this event.
These topics are only categories of workshops to be offered.
Preparing for High School
- Specialty Programs (International Baccalaureate, Project Lead the Way engineering, Governor’s School for the Arts, the Pruden Center for Industry & Technology)
- Career Interest Inventory
- Making the Transition to High School
Planning for College
- PSAT, SAT, ACT College Aptitude Tests
- Advanced Studies Options: AP, Dual Credit, Honors
- Preparing Your Pocketbook & Your Child for College
Transitioning to the Workforce
- Career Opportunities & Apprenticeships in Hampton Roads
- Job Search Skills
- Military Options for Grads