Delays & Closings
Emergency School Closings
When a decision is made to close Suffolk Public Schools because of weather conditions, or to close a single school for other reasons, detailed information will be provided to area TV stations. A recorded message will be available after hours at 925-6750. Automated phone calls with a recorded message will begin calling the homes of students and staff. The numbers called are based on the contact information stored in the division’s database.
If an early closing of school becomes necessary, students need to know what to do and where to go when they get off the school bus. There may be times that school dismissal will be delayed beyond regular school hours due to extreme weather conditions or for other reasons. The same assortment of communication tools listed above will be used when possible.
Make-Up Days for 2017-2018
- If a full day is missed, then a full day shall be used to compensate for instructional time.
- The first day missed will be covered by the extra instructional hours that are built into the school schedule.
The second day missed may be made up on Nov. 17, 2017 (parent-teacher conference day).
- The second day missed will be made up on Jan. 29, 2018 (clerical day).
- The third day missed will be made up on Feb. 16, 2018 (parent-teacher conference day).
- The fourth day missed will be made up on Presidents’ Day, February 19, 2018
- The fifth day missed will be made up on March 6, 2018 (professionals development day).
- Additional time missed will be made up by adding time to the instructional day.
Before- and After-School Childcare Programs
Please contact your child’s school-based program to find out the details of their weather emergency schedule. Elementary schools have school-based programs run by the Suffolk YMCA and also some by the Suffolk Parks & Recreation Department.
Suffolk Public Schools will consider opening schools on a one-hour or two-hour delay, due to inclement weather, hazardous conditions, power outages, or other emergency situations. Bus pick-ups for all students would begin either one hour or two hours later than normal pick-up times.
Breakfast would not be served on either delayed opening schedule. Lunch would be served. Dismissal time and after-school activities would remain the same unless otherwise noted.