Virtual Programs Available
Suffolk Public Schools provides multiple opportunities for students to participate in virtual/online learning. Students enrolling in a virtual course must have access to a computer with Internet outside of school hours. These students must be self-disciplined to complete the assigned modules in a timely manner.
Virtual options are allowed under the following conditions:
- Student seeks to enroll in district approved course(s) that are not offered in the division;
- Student seeks to enroll in district approved course(s) where the face-to-face course(s) does not align with the students schedule;
- Student seeks to enroll in dual credit or advanced placement courses that are district approved and offered in the virtual environment;
- Student is receiving homebound services and virtual course(s) address the student’s needs;
- Student is participating in credit recovery (repeat courses for credit); and/or
- Student needs additional support and online modules are assigned by instructors.
Junior and senior level English and history courses may be taught in a blended environment, with students reporting to class at least once per week. Other summer school classes may be taught through an online medium if enrollment is too small to offer a face-to-face course. The summer school course is at cost to student/parent.
- Courses taken for the first time must reflect 140 hours of instruction/online and an average grade of 60 or above must be earned to receive course credit.
- Course taken for recovery must reflect at least 70 hours of instruction/online and an average grade of 60 or above must be earned to receive course credit.
- English, mathematics, science, and history online courses are available for credit recovery through the virtual environment.
- Dual enrollment/credit courses may be taught through a virtual environment as deemed appropriate.
- Virginia Department of Education Online Courses Virtual AP Offerings (Full Year)
AP Art History
AP Calculus BC
AP European History
AP French Language
AP Government and Politics: Comparative
AP Government and Politics: U.S.
AP English Literature and Composition
AP English Language and Composition
AP Environmental Science
AP Latin: Vergil
AP Spanish Language
AP U.S. History
Multiple Online Providers (MOP)
- Suffolk Public Schools will accept course credit form state approved online providers for a course equivalent to the district course; and
- Courses taken by the MOP will be at the cost of the student/parent (guardian).