Budget Information for 2017-18
The School Board voted to adopt a slightly revised budget on 5-18-17
- The board voted for a total of 2.5% increase for all teachers on the scale, which includes their experience step increase and a cost-of-living adjustment. Teachers who are above the 29-step scale (in other words, teachers who will start the 2017-18 school year with 30 or more years of experience) will get a 1.5% cost-of-living adjustment.
- Support staff will also get a 2.5% increase if they are on the 18-step support scale. Support staff who will start the 2017-18 school year above Step 18 will get a 1.5% cost-of-living adjustment.
- This linked budget below was “approved” by the board in March to go to City Council for consideration.
- The “adopted” budget is what the board votes on after Council votes on its funding amount. City Council voted 5-17-17 to fully fund the requested $2-million increase.
- A few revisions from this “approved” budget were made before the board vote 5-18-17 on its “adopted” budget.
- The official document of the ADOPTED budget will be published on this site no later than May 26.
Click here for PowerPoint shared at School Board’s 5-18-17 Budget Adoption meeting
2017-18 Adopted Teacher Scale … click here
Teacher Scales – 3 years … click here
Click here for Suffolk School Board’s Approved 2017-18 Operating Budget
Frequently Asked Budget Questions … click here
Click here for PowerPoint shared at School Board’s work session on March 15, 2017 about proposed raises for teachers and bus drivers.
Click here to see the final report from Evergreen Solutions presented February 2016 – Classification & Compensation Study Recommendations
The Suffolk School Board has scheduled a special meeting to adopt the 2017-18 budget for Tuesday, March 21, beginning at 4 p.m. at The Pruden Center.
Click here to see Proposed Budget presented to School Board on Feb. 9, 2017
Suffolk Public Schools Budget Development Calendar for Fiscal Year 2017-2018
|Contingent upon City Council’s budget calendar|
|December 8, 2016||Community input session – 7 pm (regular School Board Meeting)|
|January 11, 2017||General Assembly convenes short session|
|February 2017||Joint Meeting School Board & City Council|
|February 12, 2017||Presentation of Proposed budget -7 pm (regular School Board Meeting)|
|February 2017||Superintendent and School Board Chairman will meet with City Manager on Budget|
|February 25, 2017||General Assembly closes short session|
|March 9, 2017||Public Hearing on Budget – 7 pm (regular School Board Meeting) LOCATION: Nansemond River High|
|March 2017||Work session School Board – Approved Budget 2017-2018|
|April 3, 2017||Submission of Approved Budget to City Council|
|May 2017||City Public Hearing on City budget that includes School Board Budget|
|May 2017||Final adoption of Budget – School Board Meeting|