New Student Registration
Welcome to Our Schools
We are very excited that your family might soon be joining our community of learning! The school division’s motto is “Every Child a Star … Together, We Help Them Shine!” As a parent considering a move to Suffolk, the importance of your child’s education is already evident because you’re doing your homework on Suffolk Public Schools. Families and schools must work together to help our children reach their full potential. We want families to be engaged in their children’s learning and involved in their schools. We look forward to your future involvement with Suffolk Public Schools!
Enrollment Process Students entering Kindergarten must have reached their fifth birthday on or before September 30th of the year in which they enroll. Students must register at the school to which they are zoned before beginning classes. School attendance zones can be found using the “School Zone Locator” green Quick-Link button to the right. A specific street number and street address must be used after you link to the SCHOOL ZONE LOCATOR. At the time of registration, the parent or legal guardian (proof of guardianship required) must submit a photo identification and proof of residency in the City of Suffolk. Acceptable proofs of residency include, but are not limited to:
- Utility company statement,
- Rental lease, rental agreement, deed or mortgage contract,
- City of Suffolk receipt for paid property taxes
To enroll a child in a public school division in Virginia, state law required the parent/guardian provide certain information to the school division:
- Birth Certificate, original certificate of birth or certified copy
- School Entrance Physical and Immunization Certificate completed by a physician. This form may be obtained from any Suffolk public school, the Suffolk City Health Department, family practice medical office, or military medical clinic
- Immunization Record
- Expulsion Statement, if applicable
Out-of-Zone / Special Request Application
Request for out of zone placement should be completed using the Out of Zone/Special Request Application and returned to the Assistant Superintendent of Student Services.
APPLICATIONS FOR 2017-18 WILL BE AVAILABLE MAY 1, 2017 AND ARE DUE BY JUNE 1, 2017.
- Any request submitted after June 1st st may not receive a decision until after school begins.
- Click here for Proof of Residency form. (updated June 2016)
- NOTE: These documents must be notarized by a Notary Public outside of the school division before being turned into the school division for consideration.
KINDERGARTEN Registration for 2017-18 … Link here for informational brochure on Kindergarten.
Focus Dates for Kindergarten Registration — from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
Wednesday, March 8, 2017
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
NOTE: After these two dates, you can register a kindergarten student at any time. Call your zoned school first to ensure you bring the needed documents.
NEW Local Videos:
Immunizations Required by Virginia Law
- 4 DTP or DTaP – at least one dose after 4th birthday
- 4 Polio – at least one dose after 4th birthday
- 2 Measles – 1st dose on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
- 2 Mumps – 1st on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
- 1 Rubella – on/after 12 months of age
- Note: Measles, Mumps, Rubella requirements are also met with 2 MMR – 1st dose on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
- 3 Hep B – (2 doses if Merck adult formulation given between 11 – 15 years of age)
- 2 Varicella – to susceptible children born on/after January 1, 1997; 1st dose on/after 12 months of age; 2nd dose prior to entering kindergarten
Additional Immunizations Required for Entry into Secondary Schools:
- Tdap – booster required for entry beginning in 6th grade; if at least 5 years since last tetanus-containing vaccine