Sick Leave Bank
All active employees who receive sick leave benefits, except hybrid employees, are eligible for membership in the Suffolk Public Schools Sick Leave Bank. Hybrid employees are not included due to being eligible for short-term disability. The open enrollment period for the Sick Leave Bank each year is from September 15th through October 15th. Any new employee, as well as returning employees who are not currently members of the Sick Leave Bank, may enroll during this period. Current Sick Leave Bank memberships will automatically renew each year unless a reassessment of days is required. New employees may enroll when hired, but must enroll within 30 days of his/her hire date.
Employees who have received the approved forty-five (45) days from the Sick Leave Bank and need additional days may request donated days. An employee who is requesting donated leave must submit a written request to the Human Resources Department. The request must include the reason donated leave is requested and the approximate duration of the employee’s absence. A doctor’s certificate verifying this information must accompany the request.
If the employee’s request is approved by the Sick Leave Bank Board, the Human Resources Department will send sick leave donation authorization forms to all principals and department heads to coordinate the donations. Employees do not have to be a member of the Sick Leave Bank to donate days, but employees must be a member of the Sick Leave Bank to receive donated days. Employees may not solicit donated sick leave from other employees.
Employees may only donate in whole-day increments. No employee may donate more than five (5) days of earned sick leave to any one employee during a single fiscal year. Donated days will be accepted in the order the days were donated and will only be accepted up to the total number of days needed by the specific donee.
Sick Leave Bank Enrollment Form
- Can only be used from September 15th to October 15th
- Or for any new hire within 30 days of their actual hire date
- Complete the form and return to the Finance Department
Sick Leave Bank Application for Benefits
- Form must be returned to Human Resources no later than 10 days after all accrued sick leave has been exhausted or with three (3) days of sick leave remaining on the books for the employee
- The employee must furnish a physician’s statement with this application
- Complete the application and return to the Human Resources Department
- Must designate name of employee for which you are donating the leave
- Must designate number of days you are donating with 5 days being the maximum
- Complete the form and return to the Human Resources Department